Grog Speaks

Miscellaneous ramblings by an amused observer of life in our times. I'm not certain anyone reads this, and I think I prefer it that way.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

15 minute break - double wide wheelchairs

The family took the long weekend to use up a vacation package that was expiring, so we drove up to Orlando and went to Disney World. I've been to DW enough to not want to go again, but my position is in the minority. Some people in the family, who shall not be named, see a trip to DW as an excellent opportunity to regress.

Anyway, my only interest in sharing this with you is the one observation I find to be universal about amusement parks - it is the perfect place to see just exactly how obese America is becoming. I'm no lightweight, but going to DW makes me feel positively slim.

Because of my recent hip operation (see below), I was able to make use of a wheelchair at the park, far easier to do than you'd think. It came in handy many times to get preferred treatment in various attractions, but I found it was only truly useful in the Magic Kingdom.

When we did the Disney/MGM park on Sunday I went to the wheelchair rental place near the entrance and was asked if I wanted a large one or a small one. Not having been asked this the day before I considered my size and said large. After all, there are all those handicapped kids that don't need as much hip room as me. There must be a smaller size than the one I used on Saturday. No, there is not. They wheeled out this enormously wide wheelchair with at least six inches more butt room than even I need. Presumably this is to accommodate the enormously wide butts of so many Disney visitors who have grown so large that they cannot propel themselves on their own legs. There's an awful lot of these people, but there were no more small ones so I got stuck with the big one. It was so wide as to make self propulsion, by using my hands on the wheels, difficult. I think they had the big ones available because the really big people seem to have really big family members and companions so they rent the motorized scooters instead, since they don't have anyone to push them around. The couple of women ahead of me gladly shelled out $40 apiece to avoid pushing each other's mass around. Pathetic. They could use the exercise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home