Grog Speaks

Miscellaneous ramblings by an amused observer of life in our times. I'm not certain anyone reads this, and I think I prefer it that way.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

12 minute break - Miami road rage

The other day, one of the major national news items was the announcement by some obscure group that Miami had been named the number one city in the country for road rage, followed I believe by New York and Boston.

All I have to say is that Miami's position justified. But the problem is not the people who get enraged here, it is the incredibly poor driving skills of the people on the road here. A competent driver will go insane.

Sunday I had a great example. I was driving with traffic down the middle lane of a three lane boulevard when I spotted a small car turning into the right lane. Ordinarily such a person would proceed to enter the right lane and maybe manage a safely executed lane change using appropriate speed, judgment and signaling. Instead this person simply pulled, very slowly directly into my path. No signal or indication whatesoever either before or after that he had even seen me. I was able to steer around him, seeing that he was probably about 80 years old - no surprise there.

My wife wanted me to pull up alongside him and yell at him. I brushed it off, this time, resigned to the fact that he was so typically oblivious to his poor driving that yelling at him would only give him some reason to figure I was afflicted with unjustified road rage.

Old people aren't the only ones capable of this kind of aggrevating driving, but they are the most common. Others worth mentioning in particular are people who can't drive worth a dime while talking on their cellphone. Don't get me started on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home