Grog Speaks

Miscellaneous ramblings by an amused observer of life in our times. I'm not certain anyone reads this, and I think I prefer it that way.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Latest update

I've built up my stamina to the point where I can go about 1.3 miles somewhat comfortably, although I sometimes cut that short. My tendonitis is still a bit of a problem, and darkness is again a factor in the mornings now that the clocks have changed. I'm not all that self-conscious about being seen as my stroke has improved. I still have a few clumsy moments, but I've avoided running into anything.

I haven't done anything about the cracked keel yet since it isn't creating any real challenges. After I row, I usually leave the boat tied up in the water to allow some water to drain out before pulling it up on the raft. Once on the raft the water leaks out completely, I assume.

I've researched getting a jet ski Jet Dock to add to the raft so I can accommodate the boat easier and don't have to pull it up so much to get it on the raft, but the market price for used Jet Docks on Craigslist is about $750 and not in my budget now.

I also have an issue with the tightening mechanisms on the riggings. The tightening bolts have practically seized. I could replace the assemblies but Little River Marine charge $150 each, so that's not happening soon either. Right now both are just loose enough that they will swing inboard. Fortunately when you row, the rowing action holds them tight against their stops and it doesn't affect the stroke until you attempt to stop, so sudden stops are pretty much out of the question unless I can tighten them a little bit, but they really don't want to turn at all.

I don't know what happened to make them get so tight since they weren't tight when I got the boat. Blaming it on salt air is about all I could do. (BTW, I've soaked them with Liquid Wrench to no avail.)

I've rigged up a metal "mast" at the back of the boat to hold my little video recorder. I need to add a little pocket to hold it steady and then I'll record and post some video of me. I might even sing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home