Grog Speaks

Miscellaneous ramblings by an amused observer of life in our times. I'm not certain anyone reads this, and I think I prefer it that way.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Row Conditioning

As expected I'm getting a little better at this rowing stroke, and going a little further too. I might not be too embarrasses to be seen either, but not by seasoned competitive rowers. Judging from the comments I see on YouTube videos, competitive rowers are very harsh critics. Drop a shoulder or drag an oar and they will crucify you. Maybe they'd be a little charitable to someone fighting 60.

Anyway, I get out about every other day, generally in the AM and I do the entire length of my canal, which is about a mile. Maybe this weekend I will go a bit farther.

I am feeling the punishment in my shoulders and back, but very little in my legs where I thought I'd feel it the most. Nevertheless, the mile that I do is getting easier so I can probably start rowing longer distances, or at least a little faster. It takes me about 20 minutes, maybe less to do the mile now, but that includes a few moments to breathe, drink a little water and enjoy the serenity of the morning on the water.

It would be nice if I got conditioned enough that I didn't sweat like a pig in the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home