Grog Speaks

Miscellaneous ramblings by an amused observer of life in our times. I'm not certain anyone reads this, and I think I prefer it that way.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Rowing ain't like kayaking

Since i wrote the previous blog entry about overcoming my rowing demon, I've found that this isn't going to be a quick adaptation. It's been two weeks now and I've been back out twice. I had hoped to do it more, but I've found that rowing is a great deal more physically demanding than I had expected, or at least a great deal different from what it takes to kayak.

When I went out two weeks ago, the subject of my previous story, I came back exhausted but chalked it up primarily to anxiety. However the physical toll was more than it seemed at the time. I created a big blister on the heel of one foot that popped even before I knew it was there. (I won't row barefoot again.) That took a few days to stop hurting. I also got a blister on my thumb.

Then there were the sore muscles. Actually those pains and aches weren't as acute as I'd thought they might be, but it wasn't trivial either.

I had gone out again a week ago (a week after my triumph) and only went about half as far as before. I didn't have a lot of difficulty but it was still pretty exhausting. And I have a long way to go before I am the essence of fluid motion. I think I need to consider buying carbon fiber oars as my wooden ones are probably half the issue when it comes to the physical challenge.

Yesterday I went the full distance to the end of the canal and back, and survived. That's as far as I went two weeks ago, about 3/4 mile. I still have a problem with the consistency of my strokes. Sometimes I rotate the oar face before the oar is out of the water and that screws everything up. When I am going well, I still can only manage a half dozen good strokes before I take a breather.

It's kind of surprising to me that all my years of kayaking have not prepared me better for rowing. Sure, my legs were never involved in kayaking, but I didn't think my arms would feel so weak afterward. Yesterday it took me a couple hours of quiet time in the AC before I stopped sweating (I sweat like a champion), and while occupying myself on the computer I could feel the weakness in my forearms even from just clicking the mouse. Wimpy old man!

I will probably not get out again for at least another week since we're going to Kansas for my niece's wedding next weekend. I should be physically ready again after we return. I wonder how long it will be before I can stroke my way to the end of the canal without a break. My prediction: November 15. This year.

(BTW, no problems relative to my new hip joint so far.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home